As readers here know, I really like Abine’s privacy service, Blur. What you may not know is that Abine also offers a service to protects privacy in another way. DeleteMe is Abine’s automated “opt-out” service. If you have read Hiding From the Internet or The Complete Privacy and Security Desk Reference, you know that opting out yourself can be frustrating and time consuming. The allure of services like these is in their convenience. You pay for the service, then carry on with life. Within a few months, your stuff is gone. Or so they say. I decided that I want to see for myself how services like this work, so I reached out to DeleteMe…They responded within a day. I asked for a free, one-year subscription to DeleteMe’s privacy service, and they agreed. However, this subscription will not be used on me. There isn’t much information out there about me, so I don’t think I would be representative of the service’s capability. I will assign this year of service to someone else, and I will track the success of DeleteMe through the blog. The first post will discuss what information I found on the targeted individual. The second post will be roughly a month later, discussing what, if anything, has changed. This will continue, with updates every three months or as needed, until the year’s subscription has ended. So who will be my test subject? Maybe you!
Want a Free Year of DeleteMe?
***UPDATE: THE VOLUNTEER FOR THIS PROJECT HAS BEEN SELECTED! THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST!***
To run this test, I need a volunteer who meets the following criteria:
- Is a U.S. citizen (per DeleteMe’s policy),
- Has average exposure on the internet (i.e. you haven’t already removed everything, and you aren’t Justin Timberlake),
- Is willing to share some personal information with me, and give me access to your DeleteMe account, and
- Is willing to be used as a case study. I will not publish your name, address, or any other personal information online. Everything that is posted on this blog will be anonymized. The information I will give is your sex, an age range (i.e. 31-35) and the geographic region of the country in which you live (i.e. Pacific Northwest). I will also discuss the number of sites on which your personal information appeared, and the removal results.
What you get in return:
- One year of DeleteMe subscription (worth $129),
- My personal attention on your case with DeleteMe, and
- Greater privacy!
I cannot do this without your help! If you are interested, please contact me with your name, city/state, and an age range. I will use this information to assess your current level of exposure. This information will be used to decide the best candidate. As always, your information will be protected with the utmost care. It will never be sold or shared in anyway, except as required to use the services of DeleteMe. If you I look forward to hearing from you, and look forward to getting underway with this review!
If you enjoyed this article and would like exclusive content, sign up for the Operational-Security Newsletter.